Key information: Atago-san
- A lovely mountain and an inspiring day walk from Kyoto, with fine views and pretty landscape and ancient (and World Heritage site) temples on the way.
- Atago-san is a historic protector of Kyoto, and access to good luck and grace. Pass torii gates, statues and shrines.
- Start/end in attractive villages, climb through pretty forest to the peak and it views.
- Find relevant books by using our Amazon search function:
- ANYONE GOT ANY GOOD PHOTOS? WE WOULD BE DELIGHTED TO POST THEM!
- Walkopedia rating84
- Natural interest13
- Human interest13
- Negative points0
- Total rating84
- Length: 15km / 5-6 hourse
- Maximum Altitude: 924m
- Level of Difficulty: Moderate
This walk description page is at an early stage of development, and will be expanded over time. Your comments on this walk, your experiences and tips, and your photos are very welcome.
Other accounts: share your experiences
Your comments on this walk, your experiences and suggestions, and your photos are very welcome. Where appropriate, you will be credited for your contribution.
Safety and problems: All walks have inherent risks and potential problems, and many of the walks featured on this website involve significant risks, dangers and problems. Problems of any sort can arise on any walk. This website does not purport to identify any (or all) actual or potential risks, dangers and problems that may relate to any particular walk.
Any person who is considering undertaking this walk should do careful research and make their own assessment of the risks, dangers and possible problems involved. They should also go to “Important information” for further important information.
Anyone planning an expedition to this place should see further important information about this walk.
Responsible travel matters, a lot. How you travel will make a real difference - for better or worse. PLEASE consider this when making plans. Read more